Thursday 8 May 2008

What Am I Doing Here Anyway?

You might have been wondering why I have such a great time in Great Britain.
Well, it has not all been fun, but also hard work. For example choosing what to do the upcoming weekend and deciding what to postpone to the next holidays which are sure to follow.

Leisure is not the only thing that drives me, though, so I spent the weekdays digging into a medical research project at the Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital in Oswestry. As it turned out, this hospital is world-famous for its achievements in orthopaedics, so I can say that I am pretty happy to get the chance to contribute a little bit.

The time I spent here has opened my eyes for many things, especially how useful maths and some parts of the body actually can be. Understanding more of them has been incredibly fun and fulfilling.

My work has been the smallest imaginable part of the project, but I am thankful to have been offered the possibility to add it to the final goal.

My thanks go to my supervisor Jens Gerwien, soon to be Dr. Gerwien, and to Prof. Dr. Peter Wack from the FH Wilhelmshaven in Germany who made all this possible in the first place. Also thanks to my employer IT Frankfurt GmbH for letting me take these 4 weeks off and finally thanks to my colleagues, friends and family for giving me so much support and encouragement.

No comments: