Sunday 18 May 2008

The Giant Lobster Monster

"Do you know any restaurant that offers seafood?"
"Hmm.."
"Not just fish, but shellfish like crabs and mussels?"
"No, I'm sorry."

She should know, she runs this hotel after all.

I left through the front door, stopped and looked longingly at the sea.
This is a lovely place in the north of Wales called Llandudno, the last stop of my journey. It's surrounded by two shores in the East and West, a small mountain on a peninsula in the North called Great Orme and a view of the largest mountains of Wales and England in the South, the highest of them giving its name to the Snowdonia National Park.

As beautiful as all this is, don't these Brits know about the delicious treasures hidden out there in the sea? Or is there anything I don't know about, like a bedtime story that children are told so they mature with the very same inmost fear of seafood as their parents did?

A fear appropriate to the ancient legend of the three hundred brave and fictitious fishermen tricked into sailing into the open sea, only to be ripped apart, crunched into bite-sized chunks and eaten alive (if still) by the Giant Lobster Monster. Which only dwells in the nearest surroundings of Great Britain. And which everyone knows about, of course, but me.

Nowadays, as if in some way of a still nourished rebellious action, the Brits tend to fry every fish they catch and surround it with some "French fries". What's so French about that?

That's when fate introduced me to François. He told me the neighbouring town Conwy is known for its local mussels, as is Anglesey, a Welsh island not far-off either.
So I had to meet a French guy in a French restaurant to tell me about the local goods. I suppose the Welsh are just too humble to mention some of them and as a matter of fact there are more than enough they can be proud of.

During my trip in England and Wales I encountered stunning countrysides, many sheeps and an exceptionally polite and serene people and although time went by so fast, I was allowed to catch a glimpse of my true self and of the things to come in my life.

I am very thankful for that as well as I am for my loyal readers, friends and mental supporters, I enjoyed writing this blog and receiving your feedback very much!

Now, please enjoy this slideshow for a review of my final days in Wales:





In case you'll once come to visit Conwy or Llandudno, you might enjoy visiting the Conwy Butterfly Jungle or staying at the Headlands Hotel (lovely staff, the owner knows some great stories, has two dogs, serves you a delicious breakfast and you get the best view in town as it is probably the highest of the hotels in Llandudno).

I also suggest going on a trip to Llanberis from where you can take the Snowdown Mountain Railway or just take some walks in the beautiful surroundings. There are many interesting things to see in Llanberis, so you should take your time.

If you stay in Llandudno, the Great Orme offers many attractions, one of them being the Copper Mines. The Tramway and the Aerial Cable Car are two ways to easily get to the summit.

No comments: