Saturday 12 April 2008

How does it feel to be a tourist?


I couldn't really wait so I grabbed my camera today, went downtown in my hometown Mainz and started practicing how to be a good tourist. Only once did I get in the way of an old, grumpy grandpa who couldn't wait to get a seat in one of Germany's oldest coffeehouses (as I learned today!), the Dom-Café ("Dom" does not actually refer to me, it means cathedral). Otherwise, the city centre was cramped with happy people bathing in the warm sun.

I was treated so friendly by so many people in so many souvenir shops today and considering the nice weather I'm curious to see how the English and Welsh people and climate will compare. I can't wait to be surrounded by native speakers of the language that I love so much and having seen so many beautiful pictures of the Welsh countryside, I won't surely miss home too much.

Now go ahead and enjoy these sunny pictures of Mainz (click here to watch a slideshow)!

4 comments:

Eric T. Hansen said...

Wow! You're really going for it! Keep up the good work - I'll be checking in every day! - Eric

PS: Great pics. Mainz never looked so good...

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, but they would be even more interesting if knew something about the place. Where is it? What is it?
Hope you stick to taking pictures in Wales. :-)

Dom said...

Hi Stefan!

Thank you :-)

The place is called Mainz, it's where I live in Germany and where I grew up. It's not far from Heidelberg, by the way.

I'm not in Wales yet, but I'll keep on taking pictures wherever and whenever possible :-)

Anonymous said...

My dear son Domi,

I wish you good luck and I hope you have many fun in Wales!

Cela ne va pas être facile pour moi de lire ton blog aber ich werde es versuchen.

Carpe diem et noctem.
Bises.

Maman